Making the most out of touring independent living communities
The best way to get a feel for what independent senior living is really like is to tour some independent living communities. Tours are usually very easy to arrange. Often, you can book them on a community’s website. Or, if you prefer, you can simply give them a call.
To get the most out of your tour, it’s best to come prepared with questions and a checklist of things to look for.
Not sure what to ask? Here are some questions you may want to consider asking.
Check out our free e-book,
Just the Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living
Questions to ask when touring an independent living community
About living spaces
1. What floor plans are available?
2. Can residents decorate and personalize their own spaces?
3. Are pets allowed?
4. Is parking available?
5. Is there a place to entertain visitors?
6. Are overnight guests allowed?
7. How is property maintenance looked after?
8. Are there additional monthly charges (e.g. property tax? maintenance fees? community fees? etc?)
9. How does the move-in process work?
About available services and amenities
10. What sorts of recreational opportunities are available in and around the community?
11. What do you do to help residents stay active and socially connected?
12. Are housekeeping services available? What about laundry?
13. Is transportation available to things like doctors’ appointments or shopping?
14. If I don’t want to cook for myself every night, are there dining options within the community?
15. What health and wellness services can I access within the community?
16. What’s in the neighborhood (e.g. shopping, library, park, place of worship, etc.)?
17. What’s included in your monthly fee? What’s extra?
Don’t simply rely on what the staff in the community tell you. Ask to talk with the residents about their daily life in the community. Drop in for a meal in the community’s dining facilities. And before making a final decision, check with family members, trusted advisors, and local professionals who may work with the community to get their feedback.
For more pointers on touring independent senior living communities and making the right choice for you, check out our free e-book, Just the Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living.